Dentures are removable dental devices used to replace missing teeth. If you have lost multiple or all of your natural teeth, dentures can help restore your smile. We at West 14 Dental can provide you with great fitting, and high quality dentures in Saskatoon.
Types of Dentures in Saskatoon
Dentures consist of a flesh-colored acrylic base that is attached to a number of teeth. The base of your dentures fit the palate of the mouth while the lower denture is horseshoe-shaped and fits in a way that accommodates your tongue.
There are two types of dentures: complete and partial dentures. Complete dentures can either be conventional or immediate.
Complete dentures are recommended if a person has lost all their teeth.
- Conventional dentures: Conventional dentures are made once any remaining teeth have been removed and the mouth has a chance to heal. Typically, conventional dentures are made eight to 12 weeks after extraction so that the gums and soft tissues have the time to shrink back to their size. These dentures provide you with a great fit and can last for a very long time.
- Immediate Dentures: Immediate dentures are inserted on the same day of your tooth extraction. These dentures are made during a prior visit to West 14 Dental and they allow you to never be without your teeth during the healing process. Immediate dentures also curb bleeding and gum swelling. They also allow you to practice speaking with dentures in your mouth as you wait for your permanent set. However, once the bone and soft tissue of your mouth heal and shrink back to their original size, immediate dentures will become loose and will need to be relined. Typically, immediate dentures need to be used only as a temporary measure until your permanent dentures are made.
A partial denture is used when you still have a few natural, healthy teeth remaining in your mouth.
- A partial denture consists of prosthetic teeth attached to a pink base, which is also often equipped with a metal framework. This can help anchor the denture to your natural teeth. Partial dentures not just replace missing teeth, they also prevent your remaining teeth from shifting out of position.
What to Expect After Getting Dentures
Although your denture may never look or function as well as your natural teeth, West 14 Dental offers affordable dentures in Saskatoon which can help you eat and speak more easily.
- New dentures may feel bulky and loose in your mouth for a few weeks. You may also need to practice inserting and removing your dentures but you will soon adapt to these changes.
- In the first few weeks, you may experience minor irritation or soreness in your gums due to dentures. This will resolve itself in a few days.
- Some people also complain of a dry mouth or excessive production of saliva when using dentures for the first time. However, your mouth will acclimatize to the intrusion in a few weeks.
- Eating may be initially uncomfortable with dentures. In the first few weeks, you may need to eat pureed or liquid food. You can then move on to soft food that is cut into small pieces. As you get used to your dentures, you can return to your normal diet. However, eating hard, tough or sticky food should be avoided as they can wear or break your dentures.
- You may also have a bit of difficulty in pronouncing certain words when using dentures. If that’s the case, practice by saying the difficult words out loud. With time, you will become used to speaking with dentures.
Your mouth will continue to change over time. This means your dentures will need to be rebased, relined or remade entirely. Visiting West 14 Dental every six months for checkups can help us detect any issues you have with your dentures. To schedule a visit, call us at +1-306-933-2114 .